Skip to main content

FAQ - Drinking Water

How do I shut off my water in case of an emergency? 

Look for your shut off valve in the following places:

  • In the crawl space or basement, where the water line enters the home.
  • In the garage where the water line enters the wall or ceiling, near the water heater or laundry hookup.
  • Outside near the foundation, often protected by a concrete ring or clay pipe.

Your Water Meter 

Your water meter is located in a concrete or plastic box in the ground, generally in front of your house and near the side property line. It’s important to keep the box free of plants and roots that can obstruct or hide the meter or damage the service line.

Can't Find Your Shut Off Valve? 

You may want to have a shut off valve installed if you can’t locate one. If you have an emergency and need help shutting off your water at the meter or locating your water meter, please call OLWD at (503) 654-7765.

Types of Shut Off Valves 

Please go to 'About Your Water' tab under 'pictures of water meters' to see examples.

I have a leak. Will OLWSD repair it? 

Oak Lodge Water Services District is legally not permitted to do any work behind the meter. Please call a plumber if you believe you have a leak. If you do discover a leak, you may be eligible for a leak adjustment. You can learn more about detecting leaks and how to apply for a leak adjustment here.

Is there fluoride in my water? 

No, we do not add fluoride to the water. This is something that has to be voted in, and the majority of Oak Grove residents have voted against adding fluoride to our drinking water in the District.

What is a Backflow Prevention Device? 

A Backflow Prevention Device is installed near your water meter is to protect both your drinking water and the district's water supply from contaminated water flowing back into the system. Oregon regulations require that backflow prevention devices be tested on an annual basis. If you have more questions about backflow please contact OLWSD Customer Service Staff at 503-654-7765.

Where does my water come from? 

Your drinking water comes from the Clackamas River. 

The Clackamas River is an extremely high-quality, raw water source.  Timothy Lake and the Olallie Lake make up the head waters of the Clackamas River. These lakes are located high up in the Mount Hood National Forest. Along with the lakes, there are many other small tributary mountain streams that contribute to the flow of the river.

Where is the Water Treatment Plant? 

The treatment plant for drinking water is located at: 

14275 S. Clackamas River Drive Oregon City, OR  97045.

Join our mailing list